Comments on LnBlog 0.5.3 - "No Need for Spam"

  1. installation trouble

    I tried to install the new release but can't get it to work at all. I uploaded all the files to my host but index.php just gives me a blank white page. I had the same problem with 0.5.2.

    I tried going back to 0.4.0, and it seemed to work okay, but I would really like to use the new features you've put in since then.

    Here's a phpinfo() file that I uploaded

    I'd really like to use this software, any idea what might be wrong?

    • Comment posted on Thursday 14 Dec 2006 at 5:32pm
    • By Brandon
  2. Re: installation trouble


    That's very strange. I looked at your configuration, but nothing jumped out at me. I test on essentially stock Apache and PHP configurations, so you shouldn't need any special settings.

    I guess the first I'd try would be to turn your error reporting all the way up. In your php.ini, set error_reporting = E_ALL, display_errors = On, and display_startup_errors = On and see if you get any error messages. (If you don't have root access, you can also set those in a .htaccess file, thoughI forget the exact syntax at the moment). You appear to have error reporting turned off at the moment, so I'm guessing there's some error happening that just isn't being displayed. An error message would at least give me an idea of where the problem might be.

  3. Re: Re: Installation Trouble

    I tried to override the error_reporting setting with .htaccess and even added
    ini_set('error_reporting', E_ALL);
    to the beginning of index.php, but I still only get a blank page. I'll try it on another server when I get the chance.

    • Comment posted on Thursday 14 Dec 2006 at 5:31pm
    • By Brandon
  4. Re: Re: Installation Trouble

    I removed a lot of stray _ characters and got the first page to load. Now it hangs at fs_setup.php

    • Comment posted on Thursday 14 Dec 2006 at 5:31pm
    • By Brandon
  5. Well...

    So is fs_setup.php giving you no output as well? Weird.... I can't think of any reason why you would get no output at all. It smells like a server configuration issue, but I don't know what the problem could be.

    All those underscore _ characters are translation markers for gettext. If you don't have gettext, they fall back to a custom translation mechanism defined in the lib/i18n.php file. They shouldn't be causing any problems, since if there are no translations (which there currently aren't) that function just returns the string passed to it.

  6. Found the problem!

    OK, I was wrong - it was the underscores!

    Apparently I forgot to turn off gettext support on one of my test systems and ended up using the _() function before it was defined. I posted the fix here:

Add your comments #

A comment body is required. No HTML code allowed. URLs starting with http:// or ftp:// will be automatically converted to hyperlinks.